Post-war Commercials (3 albums)

Diesel Vans
From 1953 Trojan redesigned their basic van and introduced the Perkins P3 diesel engine as its power. Trojan were the first people to use a diesel engine in a 1 tonne van and apparently it had not been an easy task to persuade Perkins to let them do this. They continued to produce vans with a wide variety of bodies, switching to all steel bodies as standard in 1957. By the late 50's they were also using some fibreglass panels to reduce costs and weight. In 1958 they developed a forward control chassis especially for Marley Tiles Ltd, who then built their own body completely made of fibreglass. Trojan then developed this chassis into their own forward control vans and small coaches. These larger vehicles went back to timber framing and were manufactured until 1961 when commercial vehicle production came to an end.

Electrojan
As you might guess these were electric powered Trojan vans. There were a few experiments with electrically powered vans before the war but proper production started in the late 40's. The vans had a standard 3 speed gear box but with 3rd gear blanked off, coupled to an electric motor with batteries mounted under the floor. Otherwise the vans appeared like the standard petrol and later diesel models. Trojan did experiment with a forward control chassis which would have produced a conventional looking milk float, but this was never put into production. Trojan did produce electric and diesel milk floats but they were conventional cabbed vans with a dray rear body.

Post-War Two Stroke Vans
With the end of the war Trojan gradually started up production of commercial vehicles, with an all new larger van. This van was fitted with their own two stroke engine developed from the pre-war engine. This engine was a four cylinder sump oil two stroke with just two spark plugs. It also had a further two priming cylinders which effectively supercharged the engine. This new van could easily reach 50mph with a near tonne load. Production started in 1946 but full production wasn't reached until 1948. the van was effectively replaced in 1953 but the engine was still produced for a few company's such as Brooke Bond Tea, until the late 50's.